Re: [LAU] Favourite Linux reverbs?

From: Glen MacArthur <info@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 02 2015 - 19:13:23 EEST

Christopher Arndt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since the combination of Tracktion 6 and Carla as a VST plug-in works
> reasonably stable, I started to record and mix more and more on Linux
> (Arch) but I'm still not very familiar with the choice of good plug-ins
> available and how to get the best of them.
>
> So, let's start with reverbs: which reverb plugins do you use? Which are
> your favourites? In which situation? Do you have any good settings or
> presets to share? I can use almost any format, i.e. LADSPA, LV2, Linux
> VST, Windows VST 64bit, although I prefer LV2 and Linux VSTs and at
> least a basic GUI, since I like it when parameters are labelled properly
> and have "real" values, not only 0.0 .. 1.0 ;)
>
> Tracktion has a very flexible routing system, were you can make every
> track an aux bus by inserting an aux send plug-in after the source track
> and an aux return plug-in before the effect plugin on the aux track.
> This makes it very easy to pre- or post-process the reverb signal with
> other plug-ins (e.g. EQ or compressor), so to my purpose it doesn't
> matter if a reverb pug-in doesn't offer many parameters (e.g. built-in
> EQ etc.) as long as it sounds good.
>
> Looking forward to your opinions and ideas!
>

> Chris

Hi there,

This isn't an exhaustive list at all, but perhaps a good starting point..

I'm old school and like plates, so for plates the free LADSPA CAPS Plate
is very good and authentic sounding, a reasonable priced payware option is
the OverToneDSP RVB-500 which comes in a LinuxVST plugin format and it is
killer..

http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/

I personally don't use convolution Reverbs so I won't touch that and leave
it to the convolution experts, as far as good free Linux algorithmic
Reverbs the Zita Reverb is very nice although not readily available as
either linuxVST or LV2 although there may be some LV2 ports floating
around, The MVerb (part of the DISTRHO stuff) is quite good and my
personal fave (again a reasonably priced payware) is the linuxDSP SR2b
which sadly seems to not be available in the re-formed OverToneDSP product
list yet so unless you already own it there prolly isn't a license key
available..

Some people like the Calf plugins Reverb and some don't, it comes as part
of the suite so it's probably worth a listen too..

Good luck on your search!