Re: [LAU] Favourite Linux reverbs?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Oct 03 2015 - 12:38:35 EEST

>> On 02.10.2015, at 16:57, Nils Gey <ich@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Am 02.10.2015 um 16:57 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
>> So, let's start with reverbs: which reverb plugins do you use?
>> Chris
>
> For acoustic and classical instruments I use zita reverb (standalone) and just leave it at the default parameters. Never desired anything else.

This is a very good reverb, but it only provides one character of reverb. Jconvolver is very good too and theoretically provides all that is needed, but it's not always a pleasure to set it up.
IIRC there is a free as in beer, but closed source reverb, IIRC from LinuxDSP or similar named, but it perhaps isn't available anymore. It doesn't harm to use external stand alone gear for the reverb ;). FWIW using aux for reverb is a good idea to allow different reverb levels for different audio channels. A bass or kick usually needs less reverb than other instruments, while all instruments usually should use one and the same (character of) reverb. For the EQ only (I discourage to use compression for the reverb only) aux aren't needed, again, aux are needed for individual levels. IMO the reverb could be standalone and as already pointed out, a reverb is an effect that more pleasant is to use as external 19" gear. YMMV! Compression should be used for the stereo master including the dry and wet signal, using compression individually for the wet signal only only makes sense for a special effect reverb, not for averaged reverb.

Regards,
Ralf