Re: [LAU] Diagnosing JACK

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2015 - 06:21:21 EEST

On 10/12/2015 02:33 AM, Jan Depner wrote:

> On 10/12/2015 06:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:02:03 +0200, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>>> There's still some rough spots, true, but complaining here about it
>>> won't fix anything. There's PA mailing lists and IRC channels.
>> Then hopefully those who have issues with pulseaudio use this
>> communication channels. I'm not against pulseaudio, I don't
>> experience issues with pulseaudio. I'm also not against software for
>> stitching or CNC technology. Many people simply don't need pulseaudio,
>> stitching and CNC technology software. So, if somebody shouldn't need
>> pulseaudio, but pulseaudio should cause trouble, why is it installed?
>> The main argument to have pulseaudio installed usually is, that it
>> reportedly is installed by default and that removing it reportedly is
>> impossible without breaking the install. I only mentioned that removing
>> pulseaudio, assumed it isn't needed, might be a way to solve the OP'S
>> issue with pulseaudio.
>>
>> Assumed somebody should report issues with jackd, because stitching and
>> CNC technology software breaks the work-flow and it would be an option
>> to remove this software, because it isn't needed, then why commenting
>> out lines in configs or suspend/kill this software, when removing is
>> the most simple solution?
>>
>> There seems not to be a religion con pulseaudio, there seems to be a
>> religion pro pulseaudio, even if it's completely useless for many users.
>>
>> Other and I explained that removing pulseaudio often is easy to do.
>> Btw. Those who want to use pulseaudio and those who run into issues
>> regarding hard dependencies, if they don't want to use it, should
>> report those issues upstream.
>>
>> Those of us who don't need it, don't use it, don't have it installed
>> and who btw. do not complain, can't report issues to upstream, a mailing
>> list or IRC.
>>
>> My intention wasn't a pulseaudio debate, I simply recommended to remove
>> pulseaudio, assumed the OP shouldn't need it. What's wrong with this
>> advice?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>
> I've had problems using JACK and pulseaudio with my ICE1712 device.
> Instead of trying to remove pulseaudio, I used the simple solution:
>
> sudo chmod 644 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>
> That way it won't start. I have 5 other Linux systems that have simple,
> on-board audio and pulse works great for those but, with the ST Audio
> DSP2000 C-Port, it would give me problems starting JACK. It wasn't worth
> the effort of trying to figure out how to get the two to work together
> nicely. I also don't have any problems with audio on this system when
> I'm not running JACK.

On my desktop machine with an ICE1712 device, JACK and Pulse, things
work. Except that Audacious refuses to play a media file if that file is
a different bitrate than JACK's default 48K.

Same version of Audacious works fine on my laptop - which doesn't have
Pulse installed at all.

Just one of the great mysteries of life.

Another great mystery: systemd works great on the desktop, crashes
ingloriously on the laptop.

Puters is as puters is!

--
David W. Jones