Re: [LAU] Diagnosing JACK

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2015 - 15:05:15 EEST

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Except that Audacious refuses to play a media file if that file is a
> different bitrate than JACK's default 48K.
>
> Same version of Audacious works fine on my laptop - which doesn't have Pulse
> installed at all.
>
> Just one of the great mysteries of life.

it isn't a mystery at all. Clients can't change the SR of JACK as part
of their normal connection process, so unless coded to explicitly
change the SR (which is generally a big no-no), audacious discovers
JACK @ 48kHz, notes the SR of the audio file as something else,
remembers that it cannot resample, and gives up.

When used without JACK (or Pulse), audacious opens the ALSA device
directly and sets the SR to the SR of the audio file as part of that
process.