Re: [LAU] send a midi CC signal to my midi controller from bash

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2015 - 15:37:13 EEST

Athanasios Silis wrote:
> I ... realised while reading the midi file that 2 byte values are
> stored locally in a midi file lsb first. This is opposite to what I
> see here http://www.somascape.org/midi/tech/mfile.html#midi . for
> example the midi *MThd* : Header chunk, was written in the midi file
> as 54 4D 64 68

These are just the four characters, in order.

> and chunklen as 00 00 06 00 .

"00 00 00 06" is the number six, MSB first.

> So this is one thing that I should keep in mind when I send hex
> numbers.

In SMF files, header fields use big endian, but they are never sent over
the wire. (Variable-length quantities also do not appear in in the raw
MIDI byte stream.)

Everything that is actually a MIDI message has its bytes in the same
order as they are sent over the MIDI cable. E.g., the data bytes of
the Pitch Bend message use little endian.

> can I just send the midi even directly?

Yes; with amidi.

> I dunno if by mistake I send some cmd that can fuck up the controller :)

Other programs allow you to send arbitrary MIDI messages, too; amidi is
not any more dangerous than them.

Some devices do have commands to store settings in non-volatile memory
or to update their firmware, but it is extremely unlikely that you would
manage to send them by accident.

Regards,
Clemens