Re: [LAU] Gmorgan9.75

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2015 - 19:58:19 EEST

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Robert Vogel <vogel@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> I uploaded a new version of Gmorgan (0.75) to Sourceforge tonight.
>
> Revised documentation for this version. Find it in the doc folder as a pdf
> or an odt file.
>
> The display is lighter, so it works on my laptop now.
>
> Added a print function to the Sequencer screen. It doesn't print. It
> writes a lilypond file,
> so you have to install lilypond, and execute "lilypond filename.ly". It
> doesn't
> do repeat marks, but, aside from that it should be ok. See lilypond
> documentation
> if you have any problems with it.
>
> Added block chords to harmony choices.
>
> Did some static checking and cleanup.
>
> *===== Problem ==========*
>
> I have removed sample songs that were formerly included.
>
> Since this is free software, it would be silly for me to take great risks
> delivering it.
>
> I could use some advice, especially if you are knowledgeable about copy
> write law.
>
> There are at least a couple of web sites that offer more or less complete
> songbooks with their
> software:
>
> They have done this free for years without apparent problems.
>
> See, for example: http://www.mellowood.ca/mma/examples/examples.html
>
> or, even better, see impro-visor's imaginary book.
>
> <https://www.cs.hmc.edu/%7Ekeller/jazz/improvisor/ImaginaryBookIndex.html>
> https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/ImaginaryBookIndex.html
>
> There is a conversion program in this tarball that converts from
> impro-visor songs to
> gmorgan. I have done the conversion, made modifications that improve them
> (for my ear anyway),
> and would like to include them, but it is not worth it to me to get in
> trouble with the law.
> So how can I make this legal ?
>
> Write me if you have ideas about this.
>
> Bob

​The distributed example files for MMA do not contain any melodies (expect
for some intros which I wrote myself). The files are just chord info which
create nice accomp. tracks. Up to the user to supply melody. So, I don't
think I'm stomping on any copyrights.

It's my understanding that you can't copyright a chord sequence. But, in
this crazy world ... who knows. And when I get an official letter I'll pull
what I have and crawl into a hole :)

But, I'd be worries about posting real song sheets. Even though I do put up
arrangements for my beginner concert band. I figure that those are
arrangements copyrighted by me.​

Honestly, I'm not a lawyer. And I don't know shit about any of this.

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden