Re: [LAU] Jack hanging when a usb soundcard is disconnected

From: Ivica Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 18 2015 - 04:16:18 EEST

I wouldn't call that broken but rather conservative in terms of power
savings which is what many of us prefer to have on mobile platforms to
extend battery life under normal circumstances. Besides, disabling power
saving on specific devices is a simple editing of one configuration file
and adding modules you do not wish to suspend at any time.

Back on topic, which is why is jack hanging so badly that you cannot even
kill the process and what could be the solution. In other words,
alternatives to an USB audio interface are not an option, and under these
circumstances is this a case of poor packaging on Ubuntu's part, flaw in
jack's design and if so is there an intention intend to fix this in some
way by providing checks and balances within jack in case sound card
disappears, or is this kernel/alsa/driver issue--in this case it is a
lowlatency kernel. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my original email
but this is on 64bit Ubuntu 14.04. Jack devs, I would love to hear from
you. Thank you.

--
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Associate Professor