Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 21 2015 - 16:30:37 EEST

On Wed, October 21, 2015 4:17 am, Atte wrote:
> 2) What's the prober way of having two versions of jack installed,
> making sure I'm *always* using one version as default (specifically, how
> to make qjackctl and renoise use the same version)?

The jack developers have always been very insistent that two versions of
jack can never be installed simultaneously.

Note that having jackd and jackdbus installed does not necessarily imply
two version of jack, because the jack2 installation will create both jackd
and jackdbus binaries if dbus support is configured during compilation.

One thing to try may be checking the dbus enabled selection in the
qjackctl advanced setup tab, that way the same executable is started by
qjackctl and by renoise, so if jackdbus is already running when qjackctl
starts it should be able to display the current status, and not try to
start a new instance.

I run fedora, so there is only one jack package available in the official
repositories (jack2, with an optional dbus support package which can be
installed). If your debian repositories contain packages for both jack
and jack2, only one should be installed, not both. If there is a
possibility that the jack binary is from jack (ver 1), if you decide to
keep the jack2 package you should probably re-install to be sure that any
shared libraries which have the same name in both packages come from the
correct package (jackd, libjack.so, etc.).

--
Chris Caudle