Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 13:11:53 EEST

> From: neilcsmith.net@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:05:11 +0100
> Subject: Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack
> To: dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden
> CC: atte@email-addr-hidden; linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
>
> On 23 October 2015 at 10:49, Neil C Smith <neilcsmith.net@email-addr-hiddenm> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 23 October 2015 at 10:26, Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >> And that doesn't seem right! I start any other Jack application I have
> >> without the Jack server running and I just get no playback! Jack in no way
> >> ever starts itself in my experience. (Mind I haven't played with Renoise
> >> since 2.x) but it definitely seems Renoise must be asking it to start, which
> >> sounds possibly like part of the dbus protocol but I'm in no way sure
> >
> > There's a flag in the Jack API that an application can pass to control
> > automatic starting of the server if it isn't running. It's not
> > related to dbus at all.
>
> To clarify that, I mean that it's highly unlikely that Renoise is
> using dbus directly - code here would suggest why jackdbus is used
> when the auto launch behaviour is used.
>
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/blob/master/posix/JackPosixServerLaunch.cpp
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Agreed. Although I would still call that Renoise asking Jack to start, not Jack starting automagically (which would require Jack knowing it needs to start and thus be running some way in the first place??) So there should be a configuration file to select between modes and all other settings. Pretty sure from the commandline you use "jackd [args]" to start non-dbus version and "jack-control start" to start the dbus version, both of which already have separate configuration files for default behaviour I believe... (And obviously that all already assumes it's Jack2 in use.)

Does this API exist and work with both Jack1 and Jack2? This seems a total minefield for anybody writing Jack-compliant software from all I've read!

Dale.