Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Neil C Smith <neilcsmith.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 13:24:09 EEST

On 23 October 2015 at 11:11, Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> . Although I would still call that Renoise asking Jack to start, not
> Jack starting automagically (which would require Jack knowing it needs to
> start and thus be running some way in the first place??)

Not really. That flag means if there isn't a server running, start
one. It doesn't start another Jack server if one is already running.
So yes, it is Jack "automagically" knowing whether it should run a
server or not. It doesn't need to be running anything beforehand
though - the check is made when the software registers a new client.

> both of which already
> have separate configuration files for default behaviour I believe... (And
> obviously that all already assumes it's Jack2 in use.)

Yes, that's the fun of this with the launch behaviour hard-wired in at
compile time. I now remember that the bit that confused me was why
the settings file created by QJackCtl was being ignored - because I
wasn't using dbus in normal use.

> Does this API exist and work with both Jack1 and Jack2? This seems a total
> minefield for anybody writing Jack-compliant software from all I've read!

Yes, and (kind of) yes. ;-)

Neil

--
Neil C Smith