Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 13:47:49 EEST

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:30:50 +0200, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Am 23.10.2015 um 09:10 schrieb Jeremy Jongepier
>> <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>:
>>> On 10/22/2015 04:16 PM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>> Any plans to add this to jack 2 as well?
>>
>> This was already in Jack2 before it got added to Jack1. The
>> corresponding Jack2 driver name is -Xalsarawmidi.
>
>So ist that entry in that wiki table about missing ALSA MIDI
>integration in Jack 2 wrong?

We seem to get a lot of apples and oranges confusion.
Actually I don't know what you mean, so perhaps running commands does
explain differences.

The Xalsarawmidi switch is useful to reduce MIDI jitter for
communication with hardware MIDI, IOW when using external synth, not
when using virtual synth. Jack 1 didn't have this years ago, I don't
know if jack 1 provides something like this nowadays. However, Jack 2
already provided it years ago.

To get a usable bridge between ALSA and Jack MIDI, there is the need to
use a2jmidi, even if you use the Xalsarawmidi switch.

E.g. run

jackd -Xalsarawmidi -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2
a2jmidid -e
qjackctl
qsynth

and take a look at QjackCtl's MIDI and ALSA tabs.

Killall and run the same without the Xalsarawmidi switch, then again
take a look at the ALSA and MIDI tabs.

Linux audio confusion for newbies increased within the last years.

The biggest PITA is that a few by default start jackdbus in combination
with pulseaudio, something completely insane, if you want a tuned audio
production machine. Because it's stupid, not because it's new, most
websites explaining pro-audio with Linux, explain how to use jackd.
Another PITA is that the most provided default GUI for Jackd, QjackCtl
changed for no good reasons. Some brand new released distros still ship
with the old GUI, while some other distros provide the current GUI, so
newbies have no chance to find the correct howto.

It's idiotic, while Linux audio became better in a lot of domains, it
became more confusing for newbies regarding the approach to simplify
some domains, that do not need simplification, especially because it
just cause confusion.

1 radio station might need to use the computer as a telephone at the
same time while doing an audio production on this computer, but 1000
musicians more likely don't telephone at the same time they make an
audio production.

For power users it became harder to help beginners, even if providing a
solution sometimes could be very easy by removing pulseaudio, disabling
jackdbus and using jackd. To explain how this works nowadays is
unwanted.

Release date of Ubuntu Wily was/is yesterday/today and it ships with the
old QjackCtl GUI. (The Release Wiki needs to be edited, but I've got no
time to do it now, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases.)
FWIW building the current version of qjackctl even with Qt5 works, I
did it a while back before it was released.

IMO the audio community should focus to provide common features,
instead of enforcing to get one new feature after the other and then,
when it's provided, to ignore it.

Writing a help page for Ubuntu flavour is wanted, but makes no sense,
let alone writing howtos that are independent to a distro.

There are no clear goal setting within our community.

Is there any website that explains the usage of QjackCtl, for both, the
current and the old GUI?

Regards,
Ralf