Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 24 2015 - 05:33:27 EEST

> Am 24.10.2015 um 01:24 schrieb worik <root@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> In the Free Software world what would be the best next step? Is there one?

Others might disagree, but I have found none of the DAW or recording programs of the FLOSS world to be very user friendly. But, to be honest, Garage Band on the iPad isn't exactly intuitive to use, IMHO, either.

I would suggest looking at either Tracktion 4 or Reaper. Tracktion 4 is an older version of Tracktion (now at version 6) that is now available as freeware (i.e. no cost, but proprietary). It runs on Windows, OS X and Linux.

Reaper is commercial (and Windows / OS X only, though it is reported to run well under Wine), but you can technically use it for evaluation for an unlimited time. After 30 days you should get a license for personal use, which is only 60$.

Both programs have a bit of a learning curve too, with Tracktion IMHO being a lot more accessible than other DAWs, but there's a lot to learn about recording, whatever tool you use.

I leave it to others to speak about free software choices like Ardour or Qtractor.

Chris