Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 - 17:41:30 EET

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:02:59 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>shorthand: the tools ARE limits, but the limits are the wellspring of
>real creativity, as imagination collides with the possible.

GarageBand's virtual guitar provides 4 styles to automatically play the
guitar. 3 different pickings and 1 plectrum rhythm style. Yes a real
guitar has got limitations, you can't blow it as you can blow
woodwinds, but you can play a guitar by more than 4 styles and you can
even play a guitar sample by a keyboard in more than just 4 styles.

This is the limitation I mentioned. OTHO and I explained that too, to
get what those 4 GarageBand styles provides by using a DAW as Qtractor,
you might need to play some sound samples with 6 individual samplers,
one for each string, to e.g. simulate a pull of by using a pitch bender
for just one string, another guitar sample sound might not need that
much effort, when doing on kind of pull off at a specific time, for s
special style.

IOW the limitation of an instrument has nothing to do with the
limitation provided by patterns that fake natural playing techniques.