Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 - 17:25:24 EET

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:34:48 -0400, David Santamauro wrote:
>I quoted the statement I wanted to respond to -- in its entirety,
>please re-read it. I didn't and don't want to comment on any other
>points you made. [...]

There is a context for my statement. However, I guess it's clarified
now.

Tools to automate playing styles come with the limitation of the styles
they provide/imitate.

DAWs without such tools have the limit not to provide such a tool, but
if you play and edit yourself, then there is no limitation regarding
the result of your edited or not edited recording.

With and without such tools there are pros and cons, not necessarily
related to a professional or a hobby approach, but I already mentioned
that it's not just black and white.

"Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?"

Yes, there are choices, it's just hard to recommend something, without
knowing what GarageBand was used for.

Until now we recommended Qtractor, Rosegarden, Musescore, LMMS, Ardour.
Assumed somebody should use one of them, if needed with a plugin to
play soundfonts, then the needs of some GarageBand users already might
be satisfied, while other GarageBand users still miss something.

Most of us unlikely know what GarageBand exactly provides. I use an
iPad, but not GarageBand, what I use on the iPad is similar to
Qtractor and Rosegarden, completely different to GarageBand.

One user mentioned that GarageBand provides better sounds than the
Linux she/he uses. Indeed, it's possible to get bad free soundfonts and
it's also possible to get good soundfonts, but perhaps a help is
missing to play them in a way that they sound good.