[LAU] [SOLVED] Re: The Quiet Moon

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2015 - 15:00:06 EET

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:41:47 -0500
"jonetsu@email-addr-hidden" <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Carla bug tracker Linkage error #223 says it is fixed. It is not.
> Not for the current git tree.

When doing a search in mailing lists in happens from time to time that
a thread is found that describes exactly what we want, only to be
concluded by the guy saying 'OK, got it fixed' w/o any explanation.

To conclude this thread then, the purpose, which was to use carla as a
VST host in order to use some u-he plugin synths, was achieved in the
following way, thanks to Filipe for help.

First of all the -fPIC bug is real, but not in carla. Rather it was in
liblo. For some reason the distro's package (Linux Mint, so that is
Ubuntu) was not seemingly compiled with that option.

Then, this option which provided OSC did not matter for my use. Carla
(from git repo) was compiled with:

make HAVE_LIBLO=false

The 'make install' that followed the successful compile installed
'carla-single' which is what I use to load the synths:

% cd ~/.u-he/<plugin name>
% carla-single vst ./<plugin name>.64.so

This works fine. Using 'a2j_control ehw start' the plugin synth MIDI
jack is shown in qjackctl. Its audio jacks are also shown in the audio
section.

After trying some of the u-he synths I was amazed by Diva and ACE
because of the range of expression and the warmth of their sounds.
From the numerous presets, they can be upfront if needed be but they can
also be subtle and blend in while retaining a richness of sound. It
seems that at least Diva is using pspice simulations of hardware
circuitry. At times I can hear a crackle when playing a lot of complex
notes at the same time in optimal ('divine') mode, so I adjust the CPU
setting to lower for this machine and the sounds are still very fine.
I liked them so much that I got the licenses.