Re: [LAU] Ardour4 and named jack?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2015 - 22:35:57 EET

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 03:02:06PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> almost no JACK clients that i have ever read the code for support
> explicitly naming the server. thus, for the overwhelming majority of users,
> this remains the effective reality:
>
> If unspecified, use "default" unless $JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER is defined in
> the process environment.

The clean solution to that would be to remove testing that
env variable. In other words, *if* you want a non-default
server, you (the app) has to specify it. Much less confusing.

> > And any dialog used to configure an
> > app's audio interface can have a field offering the same
> > choice (with 'default' or an empty string as the default).
> >

> except that there is no reason to even expose this option that exists only
> for tinkerers and corner cases.

I take note of the fact that you don't want to support
some of my use cases, even if that would be very simple
to do, just because of this opinion that minorities can
or should be ignored.

> once again, you do not sit on IRC all day answering questions about using
> this software.

If that is your problem then *just stop hanging out on IRC all day*.
Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone can do any sort of serious work
requiring a minimum of concentration, or enjoy any entertainment, or
whatever, if he/she his hanging out on IRC all day. It's your choice.

Ciao,

--
FA