Re: [LAU] Is there a newer, better "Jack Rack"?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2015 - 11:13:47 EET

Hi Hermann,

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 07:24:00 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>Am 08.11.2015 um 04:22 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 03:55:38 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>>> Given the licence a other name wouldn't change that fact, as it is
>>> simply not compatible with the DFSG, regardless how you name it.
>> "Packages must be placed in non-free, if they are not compliant with
>> the DFSG", see:
>>

>This issue is now older then 10 years, . . .
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/09/msg00268.html

Several LAU subscribers are aware of it, but it's still politics
regarding an interpretation of Debian's strict GNU policy, that applies
double standards.

Non-free provides e.g. the proprietary NVIDIA driver, this is
absolutely ok. Assumed Linuxsampler's upstream would rename the
license, and Len asked about this, then it should be possible to
provide it by non-free too. DFSG isn't required for non-free.

However, much more important is that e.g. Aeolus is available by the
official repositories, but Aeolus comes with the exception that forks
are unwanted

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.devel/29966 you most likely
remember the complete discussion, as Debian maintainers do too ;).

IOW it depends to the Debian maintainers arbitrary political decision
and not to a Debian policy.

It's absolutely ok (by Debian's policy and for me too) that Debian
provides Aeolus, but there's no valid reason to not provide
Linuxsampler, since Linuxsampler is GPLed too, the GPL is valid, just
the exception is null and void.

So were exactly do you see a clear-cut course by the Debian maintainers?

A rhetorical question ;), IMO this discussion is much too off-topic.

Back to the topic, Carla e.g. from an Ubuntu PPA or from the Arch user
repository can be provided with all features, assumed Carla should be
provided by official Debian/Ubuntu repositories, it will be released
without all features. This does cause problems for many less
experienced Linux users, so users writing e.g. Ubuntu help pages and
Wikis, requires to write howtos for those special distro versions.

I'm an Arch Linux user, but I like to help Linux newcomers, so I prefer
to provide Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio support for this purpose. It would
be nice to make things not that complicated. Other than you and me, a
lot of computer users aren't geeks interested in computer politics.
It's already hard for them to understand the meaning of LTS, the
difference between an Ubuntu flavour and an Ubuntu derivative and how
secure or insecure the usage of PPAs is, since terms like "dependency"
or "soname" require a level of understanding, they don't want to have
to use a user-friendly Linux distro.

Last but not least, fortunately jack rack still is available for the
current release of Ubuntu :).

Regards,
Ralf