Re: [LAU] [OT-ish]: uploading / moving to archive.org

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2015 - 14:53:38 EET

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:58:54 +0100
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I noticed some pieces announced on the list are hosted on archive.org
> So now apparently 'anyone' can upload their content to archive.org
> applying a CC license?
>
> It looks like archive.org has gone a long way with audio since I last
> checked and has lots of very nice features (at least from my point of
> view) such as html5 player, direct links to audio files, waveform diplay
> etc. [1]
>
> Given that soundcould (where I have some stuff on) doesn't work on my
> Linux browser since months (and it has some really annoying 'features'
> like unprompted/unexpected/unavoidable "autoplay"), moving everything to
> archive.org and sticking to it for future content seems very tempting
> (not only from the technical point of view of course).
>
> Any reason why one *shouldn't* do it today?
>
> Opinions and ideas welcome.
>
> Lorenzo.
> [1] https://archive.org/about/faqs.php#Audio

I've been putting stuff up on archive for years, and found them very reliable.
I have some individual entries there, but mostly a group that were competition
entries (KVR, kara-moon).

You can do full albums, and these days they have a very nice player that
*doesn't* try to promote unrelated material.

If you post a flac, they will auto-generate both ogg and mp3s for you.

I found the easiest way to designate a track order was simply to include the
date in the stored track name, but then edit the visible name to what you want.

There is space for people to make comments, but it seems to be rarely used.
Maybe that's because it is comparatively low-profile.

An example:
http://www.archive.org/details/BitsAndPieces/

--
Will J Godfrey