Re: [LAU] How to have audio w/o jackd ?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 15 2015 - 01:03:39 EET

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to be able to have audio after terminating jackd. Everything
> works fine when jackd is present, xine, firefox, audio apps, etc. When
> jackd is gone, no more audio. Taking xine as an example, pavucontrol
> will show the output when it plays a video and will show that the
> output goes to the onboard audio. If I choose the 1010LT card, then
> xine freezes. Envy24 utility shows nothing.
>
> I would like to be able to view, and hear, downloaded video clips
> without jackd around.
>
> Why ? Because the current bitwig has a bug in which jackd MIDI does
> not work. This translates has having sound, but no MIDI from external
> controllers. OTOH, if bitwig switches to ALSA then there's MIDI but no
> sound until jackd goes away.
>
> The goal is to follow bitwig tutorials.
>
> There must be a way for audio apps to be able to output sound on the
> 1010LT without jack...

1) if an application is written to ONLY use JACK, then JACK must be running
for that application to output audio
2) if an application is written to use JACK or some other audio API, then
obviously JACK can be be stopped and the application can be told to use
another API
3) if an application is written to use some other audio API, then in
general, it will be a little complex to get it to work if JACK is running,
and trivial if it is not.

However, if your system was setup to deal with case (3), so that non-JACK
applications could be heard even when using JACK, then it is unlikely that
those same applications can be heard if JACK is not running.

For example, on my own system, JACK is the sole user of the only audio
interface I have that is connected to any speakers. All non-JACK
applications end up talking to PulseAudio (either directly, like Skype or a
web browser (for shame!)) or indirectly (via PulseAudio acting as the
default ALSA device). PulseAudio and JACK are connected via an ALSA
loopback device. If JACK is stopped, the non-JACK applications will
continue to function, but they cannot be heard.

So ... the way forward depends a great deal on the specifics of your system
and the applications in question.

--p