Re: [LAU] jackd without MIDI

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 17 2015 - 05:01:54 EET

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 21:08:02 -0500
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> This question is a bit confused.

> It is up to an application which API it wants to use for dealing with
> MIDI (or audio) data. Disabling the presence of MIDI ports within
> JACK doesn't do anything to change what an application does (or at
> least, it shouldn't)

The problem is that bitwig does not work with jack MIDI. As such I
see it entirely in their ball park to fix it. And then if bitwig is
switched to ALSA (to be able to work with MIDI), it will not be able to
open the audio device as long as jackd runs. There is a problem and it
is certainly not on jack's part, considering the number of applications
that runs with it. But I'm willing to try what they suggest although
indeed it is not clear. The goal would be to have bitwig and Ardour
running together, with MIDI and sound enabled in bitwig (which supports
jack transport BTW). A problem prevents bitwig from using/receiving
MIDI data when it runs configured for jackd. It has sound but no
MIDI. When it runs configured for ALSA, it has MIDI but no sound....
until jackd is terminated.