Re: [LAU] Qtractor vs. dssi-vst?

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 19 2015 - 17:00:43 EET

On 2015-11-19 13:42, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Hi James,

>> I read on some sites that it should be possible to use VST plugins
>> with Qtractor by way of dssi.
>>
>> On my system, Qtractor depends on liblo7 and dssi-vst:i386 depends
>> in liblo7:i386. If I install dssi-vst:i386, I cannot install
>> Qtractor. If I then try to install Qtractor after that, it will
>> uninstall dssi-vst:i386.
>>
>> So... what does one do to handle this?
>>
>> FWIW, I've also tried LMMS's Vestige. There is some graphics bug
>> with particular plugin I need to use, rendering it unusable. So I am
>> in an emergency situation looking for alternatives.
>
> I'm assuming you are running kxstudio? Wierd that the dependencies get
> confused, I have no solution to that. I just wanted to mention that
> there is likely another problem with dssi-vst at the moment. Due to
> some low level bug dssi-vst currently does not work under a 64-bit
> system.
>
> See the discussion here:
> https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14817&sid=81abc243ed9d906840b37f5b24cd9d5a
> [1]
>
> As far as I know this is still the case so I think Carla or Airwave is
> your best bet.
>
> A question regarding Carla, I tried it with MusE the other week as an
> alternative. Does Carla expose the parameters of a plugin to the host?
> I couldn't get it to but it might be MusE is lacking some LV2
> extension.

might be just (my) wild guess: but distros that don't support dual-arch
32_and_64bit simultaneously will have a hard time to get both wine
implementations of both win32 and win64 to co-exist that easily. iow.
none drinks from wine that's spilled over the table ;)

otoh. distros that do separate /usr/lib64 from /usr/lib (ie. where the
former shall not be a symlink to the later) might have an edge here:
fedora and opensuse might be examples where win32 VSTs might work over
dssi-vst and on x86_64 systems without system disruptive kludges.

that said, my old dssi-vst builds on opensuse13.2 [1] have been capable
to run win32 VSTs under qtractor.x86_64 at least.

[1] http://www.rncbc.org/archive/#dssi

just my 2c.

hth.
cheers