Re: [LAU] pianos with built in recorders?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Nov 21 2015 - 11:05:17 EET

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:43:28 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>Am 21.11.2015 um 09:22 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:52:55 +0100 (CET), F. Silvain wrote:
>>> One advantage of USB over 5pin MIDI is, [...]
>>
>> USB MIDI has got the risk to cause noticeable MIDI jitter.
>
>In practice, in my experience, that is only an issue when using MIDI
>clock for synchronisation.

It's an issue as soon as sync is involved. Not necessarily for clock
signals (only).

Assumed you record the audio signal of a kick from a synth and _not_ at
the same time a percussive bass that should be in unison with the kick,
IOW you record this bass sound after you recorded the kick, then both
MIDI events are affected by different MIDI jitter, regarding the
mismatch the percussive bass and kick do cause an early reflection like
effect. There is the argument that jitter is lower than inaccuracy of a
musician, so it's impossible to notice. This is a half-truth, it depends
to the kind of music you make and what you want to archive.

Another question is, if there is or is not an issue regarding galvanic
isolation.

Regards,
Ralf