Re: [LAU] Isolating/dedicating Interrupts

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 21 2015 - 15:56:42 EET

On 11/21/2015 02:40 PM, Ede Wolf wrote:
> Following the discussion about irq_balance, I was having a look at my
> interrupts, I figured that my most important devices all share a single
> one:
>

> cat /proc/interrupts:
>
> 20: <CPU List> IR-IO-APIC 20-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb9, snd_rme9652,
> vfio-intx(0000:07:00.0)
>
> So some USB, my passed-through parallel card and my soundcard are all
> sharing interrupt #20.
>
> Now I wonder, is there a way to force the system to use a dedicated
> interrupt just for the soundcard?

No, unless the system supports MSI (Message Signaled Interrupts) and the
sound card could use that. It's been a while since I had to use that so
I have no links at hand :(
You could also use rtirq for this and make sure the IRQ thread for
snd_rme9652 gets the highest prio:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#rtirq
Another option would be to stick the RME in a different PCI(e) slot if
possible.

Jeremy