Re: [LAU] Mono tracks to mono or stereo bus ? And sampling rate

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 25 2015 - 14:34:46 EET

Again, you're missing several obvious points, all of which have been made
before.

Nyquist says that to **perfectly** capture all frequencies up to N kHz, you
need to sample at N*2.

Human hearing ends even in the best of us at about 20kHz. We sample at
typically 40kHz plus.

The implication: this "low resolution" example you're talking about isn't
remotely close to what is happening with real world digital audio. Sure, if
you sample at 8kHz like early digital telephony (thus only capturing
frequencies up to 4kHz, the result after D->A differs substantially from
the original. But that's why we don't do that.

Also, your drawings ignore the basic point that Felix made. Your "original"
curve includes frequencies that are above the cutoff for the "sample rate"
your "digital" version uses.