Re: [LAU] Jack sample-rate

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 13 2015 - 18:08:50 EET

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Wenger Peter wrote:

> I think y have to explain my intentions:
> I am a Tango-DJ in germany. Now there is a strong trend to play tracks
> in the highest possible quality. There are sellers of new masterd peaces
> from shellacs in flac 24/96k sampled.

Highest quality for a 24/96k file is resample to 48k and play. Pretty much
you are less likely to have bad artifacts from an audio system trying to
reproduce higher than 20k audio. 24/96k is just PR no real increase in
quality, just bigger numbers to impress the easily impressed... and more
money in the pockets of those who sell equipment.

> http://www.tangotunes.com/orquestas/juan-d-arienzo.html?tt_filtertype=509
> The DJ's like to play it bit-precise. They invest a lot of money to do

Bit precise? what is that? It sounds impressive, but meaningless. in fact
at 96k it is probably false because most audio cards no matter what SR
they use still low pass the i/o to 20k. So a 96k file is not bit precise
in the way that a 8bit/32k file can be. So your DJs are in effect
using false advertising to increase profits.

> so. They use Windos or OSX apple. As a linux enthusiast I would like to
> say to them, it is possible in Linux also. They do not want to discuss
> if sombody can hear it, they only will do it with the highest quality as
> possible.

No they only want to make money. It is important to be seen as using the
latest, greatest, stuff. If it is or not.

The best way for you to join in (with this maddness :) ) is to upsample
your 44.1k stuff (on the fly) to 96k and be happy. If win/OSx allow you to
mix from one tune to the next (fade from song to song) then they are
internally already resampling to allow this to happen.

The only other way to fade from one song to the next with no resample is
to use more than one audio interface and mix externally. This would allow
mixing one track at 96k with another at 44.1k.

This is true no matter what OS you use. As I say, I think you will find
that many of these DJs are upsampling the 44.1k material if they are aware
of it or not. (they may even be downsampling the 96k material unaware)

Thats life...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net