Re: [LAU] CPU and mobo

From: John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2015 - 22:23:34 EET

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:36:24 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> A bit OT here, but while were on the subject: Is there a benefit for
> preferring UEFI over Legacy boot?

I've had UEFI motherboards for a few years now, so I can't quite
remember what the BIOS limitations were. I like having mouse control.
Having a whole keyboard to hand when one doesn't need to type any text,
seems excessive.

My current one has a nice feature to immediately boot a drive. Useful
when booting a USB stick for an install, but I guess that could have
been implemented in traditional BIOS. I can also access the UEFI settings
screens in Windows, but I haven't used that.

The big one has to be secure boot. As I understand it, if you install
an OS to a UEFI partition, you can't install another OS and dual boot
(while that OS is in situ) and you can't boot that OS in a different
computer. I accidentally tried to install ubuntu in that fashion recently,
but the installer suggested I might not want to do that. I presume CD
and USB drive boot is similarly banned, thereafter.

[Further OT] I've asked, over on grub-dev mailing list, about the
possibility of using the mouse scroll wheel to scroll up and down
entries in the grub ui, and use left click to boot. Haven't had
an absolute no yet, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :)