Re: [LAU] now online: video recording of Louigi Verona at Open Source Audio Meeting Cologne in November 2015

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2015 - 22:26:10 EET

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Louigi Verona wrote:

> Last week Nils posted to the list, but apparently it has been filtered out,
> although I do see it in list archives.
>
> We decided to re-post it to the mailing list for those of you (or perhaps even
> all of you) who missed it.

Got it, but at the time some parts were missing. They all seem to be there
now.

Interesting points in the last one about linux sw and developers. Having
just started doing some development work it is even more applicable to me.

Yes, most things are built for the builder first. Personally, I have tried
to make things only I will use as the things that require CL options. So
far I have had no requests for features on my own SW. However, having
helped bugfix in Ardour a bit, I have seen a lot of feature requests that
just don't make sense. Not that they are wrong or bad feature requests,
but that the user has not explained what it is really that they are
looking for. Most of the time this is because some other DAW has this
feature and they just use the name in that DAW or that it is very obvious
with what is in front of them right now. Reading a feature request that is
about MIDI while I am working with Audio, for example, is going to confuse
me onless the user actually says "when editing midi".

So I am thinking that badly executed feature requests may also be partly
the user's fault. As a user, someone asking for a feature should be
willing to stick around and explain fully what they want and help test the
results. I will note that I am not any better at making feature requests
than anyone else. I generally have to explain more than one time what I am
actually wanting. (bug reports have similar issues)

So in the same way a bug report should include a recipe to make the bug
happen, what actually happens, what is expected. A feature request should
do the same.

There are some developers who are just grumpy by nature... or because of
culture/language just seem that way.

Anyway, it was a very good talk (all three parts). Thank you for posting.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net