Re: [LAU] now online: video recording of Louigi Verona at Open Source Audio Meeting Cologne in November 2015

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 19:55:18 EET

Thanks for your feedback, Fons.

I actually approached it differently. To me the important thing was not to
"quote Fons", but to quote something that I observed as a common sentiment.
Next time I will rephrase it, I have no intention to quote you specifically.

However, I would be grateful if you would explain in which way my
understanding of your phrase was incorrect.

You mention that the first part (I assume the first sentence in the
paragraph) is part of the wider discussion. I have read that discussion and
actually have participated in it. Can you explain to me what the wider
discussion was and in what way it changes the meaning of your sentence?

You then mention that 'the right ones' is in single quotes. Can you expand
on what those quotes mean?

Otherwise it would be difficult for me to understand how to change my take
on your words (although, again, I did not aim to quote you specifically,
which is why I did not mention the author of the words, to me they are just
an example of something that I see as a common approach).

L.V.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:31:18PM +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
>
> > This is good point about the users and since this was the first time I
> > spoke on the topic, I still need to thing some things over and everyone's
> > feedback and criticisms are very welcome.
>
> So here's some.
>
> You quoted me twice in the last video.
>
> When you quote someone it is basic courtesy to identify the
> author. If you feel you can't do that even for something that
> was said in public in the first place, that usually means you
> are misrepresenting the author in some way, and know it.
>
> Also when you quote anyone, provide the context. And do it
> correctly. When I wrote
>
> > If a developer holds some views that go against those of the
> > average user he will have some very good reasons for that. There
> > is *no reason at all* to assume that the average user's ideas
> > are 'the right ones'.
>
> first that was part of a much wider discussion, and second, the
> phrase 'the right ones' was in single quotes. You didn't mention
> either.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/