Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Dec 23 2015 - 11:23:27 EET

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 00:05:50 -0500 (EST), Karen Lewellen wrote:
>After all anyone who has ever made professional radio in the field
>knows that one thing that makes programs like pro tools and Hindenburg
>journalist worth the investment is keyboard control.

And what has got keyboard control of those non-Linux GUI apps to do with
Linux command line? Linux GUI audio tools provide keyboard control too.

>I value command line work the same. I type over 80 words a minute
>and cannot imagine making anything entertainment wise, music or
>radio, without solid keyboard usage.

For what exactly do wish to use a "friendly command line"?

Command line usually is considered user-friendly, because you neither
need to type fast, nor to type much.

The tab-key auto-completes paths, the cursor key scroll though the
history of commands, there are shortcuts such as Ctrl+L, Ctrl+D, Ctrl+C,
Bash comes with Brace expansion, replace and add something from/to a
command e.g.

$ sudo some_long_command
$ sudo !!

Results in

sudo some_long_command

$ !! -a -b -c

Results in

sudo some_long_command -a -b -c

$ ^_long^_very_long

Results in

sudo some_very_long_command -a -b -c

The Arch Wikis are valid what ever distro you'll use.

Keyword: readline

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Readline

Keyword: aliases

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash#Aliases

Beyond that the sensational roxterm provides window functionality non
of the terminal emulations provided by desktop environments provide,
e.g. something banal as re-wrapping text when resizing the window.

However, GUI apps usually provide shortcuts (keyboard control) too and
usually the user can assign shortcuts. I guess it's harder to buy a
special keyboard that fits to a FLOSS Linux app, than to get such a
keyboard for proprietary software, such a keyboard for FLOSS Linux
apps most likely needs to be self-made.

Perhaps keyboard stickers are good enough, something like this,
http://www.ioffer.com/i/blender-keyboard-sticker-164787345.
For my Atari ST's keyboard I used Letraset. For my Linux PC I don't use
special keyboards.