[LAU] Galvanic isolation (was: Re: pianos with built in recorders?)

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 24 2015 - 01:42:29 EET

> USB MIDI has got the risk to cause noticeable MIDI jitter.
>
> Does USB MIDI provide galvanic isolation? Several times I read claims
> that USB MIDI connections aren't galvanically isolated.
>
> Standard MIDI connectors make usage of opto-couplers and shield of the
> MIDI DIN connectors is open.
Certainly all of the USB MIDI connections I have ever tested, are not
galvanically isolated; I always get trouble with USB signals bleeding
over where they don't belong. USB-to-DIN adapters I have used have been
better, but not perfect. Is there a make/model of USB-to-DIN (or even
PCI-to-DIN if it exists anymore) which you know for sure has
opto-coupling? That would be a great boon to me. Sooner or later I'm
going to do optocoupling for audio too, probably using a TOSLink setup.

J.E.B.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!