Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 28 2015 - 03:53:24 EET

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015, Joel Roth wrote:

> I think it must be frustrating for Karen to have to ask
> if she doesn't have a command line to start playing with
> stuff referred to in answers.

Thanks, but in a very important way I do, strong emphasis on important
way.

Shellworld is a comparative Unix based command line. For example i know
nano, and Pico its older edition. have run screen in the past etc.
Far less to my tastes, I use comparative shells in other editions, Ubuntu
for example.
However the uniqueness about Linux and Unix is just how individually things
can be configured.
This is why I am constructing the box I have in mind totally separate from
my main computer, to duplicate something I do daily, treating it like a
server, and using the other tools I require to access and understand that
server apart from the Linux construction itself.
scripting yes, i know someone willing and able to do this for me, so that I
am, for me, working form a firm base, leaving me to focus totally
on learning how to use the tools I feel will allow me to make music as I
desire.
This is me however, I would not diminish the experiences of others by
suggesting they should do this my way.
I am amazed that others think they should do as much to me.

  When she mentions keyboard shortcuts, she refers to
> ProTools.

Certainly, but I also lead with years of conventional editing that does
not require using adaptive tools whatsoever. You edit by listening to our
source material, not by reading a screen.
Still I would not expect someone who has not learned this way to
understand.
I would hope they might ask more than assume, but that is immaterial.

Your tools are terrific for my goals, and you provide manuals
for learning.
I have been using this Unix shell for what decades surely, and never lost
my ability to think command line by ever using windows.
so, my main goal is getting a totally separate Linux box built accessing
the many command line tools that serve my purpose and rendering my music
into printed form the best way I can.
If no one else works this way, its perfectly fine by me.
after all if every artist created in the same fashion we would have no
Michael Angelo's would we?
Kare