[LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Jonathan Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 03 2016 - 04:24:04 EET

Some may remember, I tried a full-court press on MIDI over wifi about
eighteen months ago, using a couple of different methods; there were
occasional losses in realtime play, enough key-up commands lost that it
could not be used. So I gave it up for then and eventually found a
different use for my Rpi2.

But the prevalence of tablets as OSC+MIDI controllers, over wifi, has not
ceased to nag at me. I'm not interested in having a tablet -- my keyboard
is all I need -- but I am very interested in configuring an RPI2 or
equivalent in place of that tablet, so that I can wire keyboard to RPI2 and
then go wireless to the synth.

Now if I understand this Wikipedia article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control> correctly, SLIP is
commonly used to encapsulate OSC signals. This could be a great clue,
because SLIP is very definitely a protocol which can give us verification
and recovery of lost signals, i.e., signals lost in the normal wifi
situation. And I have seen the Pure Data method of converting OSC to MIDI
and back, so that is not too much of a problem. The question I have is,
what would be the best method of verifying, configuring, and debugging SLIP
encapsulation? To do this well, for production on stage, I have not not
only be able to checkbox on for SLIP, but trigger warnings if it detects a
certain degree of errors.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
*Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden