Re: [LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 22:23:56 EET

On Mon, January 4, 2016 1:30 pm, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> good grief someone raised the issue after all this time...

I'm actually surprised that no one else has pointed out yet how fragile
WiFi is, or how non-suited for reliable stage use. Someone needed to.

> so you were having a uw oven (near|on) that
> studio of yours?
> think again :)

Who said studio? I did point out that some of these concerns do not apply
if you control the building where you would be using WiFi, but if you look
back at Jonathon's original message from 23 December he specifically said
"for production on stage."

I take "stage" to mean a concert environment, possibly in a different
location every day, so different specific interference conditions every
day, and where you do not have the ability to control the entire
environment, such as whether someone in another band is cooking their food
in a microwave directly behind the stage, or whether half the audience has
the wifi hotspot of the phone turned on, or whether the venue has a lot of
wifi webcams streaming video at the same time, etc.

> http://www.howtogeek.com/171869/why-does-running-my-microwave-kill-my-wi-fi-connectivity/

> hth.

Helps me or helps Jonathon? I would never try to run my MIDI equipment
over WiFi during a concert, that's Jonathon's windmill to slay. ;)

--
Chris Caudle