Re: [LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 23:32:53 EET

On 01/04/2016 08:23 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Mon, January 4, 2016 1:30 pm, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> good grief someone raised the issue after all this time...
>
> I'm actually surprised that no one else has pointed out yet how fragile
> WiFi is, or how non-suited for reliable stage use. Someone needed to.
>
>> so you were having a uw oven (near|on) that
>> studio of yours?
>> think again :)
>

> Who said studio? I did point out that some of these concerns do not apply
> if you control the building where you would be using WiFi, but if you look
> back at Jonathon's original message from 23 December he specifically said
> "for production on stage."
>
> I take "stage" to mean a concert environment, possibly in a different
> location every day, so different specific interference conditions every
> day, and where you do not have the ability to control the entire
> environment, such as whether someone in another band is cooking their food
> in a microwave directly behind the stage, or whether half the audience has
> the wifi hotspot of the phone turned on, or whether the venue has a lot of
> wifi webcams streaming video at the same time, etc.
>
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/171869/why-does-running-my-microwave-kill-my-wi-fi-connectivity/
>
>> hth.
>
> Helps me or helps Jonathon? I would never try to run my MIDI equipment
> over WiFi during a concert, that's Jonathon's windmill to slay. ;)

hope that helps every1 ;)

re. said studio

yes, might be yours truly qmidinet (or ipmidi) on the stake here...

now,

qmidinet/ipmidi never meant to be midi-over-the-air as far as for live,
uncajed (faraday-wise;)) open, public-address or whatever situation,
let's be certain... instead, it's always assumed an in-house flat or
home-studio situation, for x-sake :)

when in doubt, get it all wired over good old and trusty ethernet-- i
bet it might even go on par and even exceed old current-loop,
cabled-midi timing specs :P

hth2.
cheers

--