Re: [LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2016 - 02:41:29 EET

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> yes, might be yours truly qmidinet (or ipmidi) on the stake here...

Any tool is designed for a purpose. None are really designed for low
latency over wifi.

> qmidinet/ipmidi never meant to be midi-over-the-air as far as for live,
> uncajed (faraday-wise;)) open, public-address or whatever situation, let's be
> certain... instead, it's always assumed an in-house flat or home-studio
> situation, for x-sake :)

I am not sure RTPMidi is that much better in this situation, at least
latency wise. Probably better than TCP though.

> when in doubt, get it all wired over good old and trusty ethernet-- i bet it
> might even go on par and even exceed old current-loop, cabled-midi timing
> specs :P

Even on an old 10M line. It would not be hard to put two cards in each end
and set up failover too. I suppose two APs set to two channels could do
the same for wireless.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net