Re: [LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2016 - 02:49:44 EET

On 01/04/2016 01:14 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> I used to have problems with the WiFi to my wife's laptop slowing
> greatly if we were heating anything in the kitchen microwave. I can't
> conceive of using something that fragile in a concert environment.
I'll have to think that there are lots of factors; we used to have an
early 1980's microwave, huge and powerful, about six feet away from our
WAP and there was never a problem. Maybe the laptop's chipset was
sensitive in unusual ways, or something.

And I have to agree, 2.4GHz wifi is dangerous right now...but not really
with directional antennas, banks are still using 2.4GHz for ATMs across
quite a lot of space outdoors, with directionals. And there's always
5GHz...IR...UV...visible...:-)

The motivation for me is simple. I have worn out too many USB ports to
be happy about it!!! I have thought of trying to throw USB over three
1/4" phone jack cables (using the _extremely_ __durable traditional
Switchcraft hardware), but have thought that I would probably run into
impedance, isolation, or something else hidden in USB. I have also
spent quite a lot of time looking for adapter combos which would let me
use microUSB for the common detachments, but it seems that the parts
builders just haven't had me in mind.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!