Re: [LAU] [OT] String section seating

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 17 2016 - 20:57:43 EET

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 04:14:33PM +0100, Ffanci Silvain wrote:

> Hey hey everyone,
> I want to put a string section in a quasi 3d room. I've looked up
> the classical seating of a string section, but now I'm wondering
> about real distances in a concert hall. Assuming I have a 60
> instrumentalist string section with 1st and 2nd violins, violas,
> celli and double basses. At what distance am I looking in a straight
> line from left to right and front to back?

An sector of 120 to 180 degrees with a radius of 5 to 8 meters
would be typical, including woodwinds in the far central part.
Depends on available space, size of the string section, and
eventual presence of soloist. Brass and percussion are usually
spread out behind the strings.

Alternative placement of some sections is possible, e.g. celli
and second violins swapped.

Ciao,

--
FA