Re: [LAU] noise reduction

From: Roger <gurusonic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 23 2016 - 13:29:06 EET

On 23/01/16 22:13, Atte wrote:
> Hi
>
> I remember the noise reduction provided by Sound Forge years ago. The
> idea was the the user selected a portion of the waveform that contained
> *only* the noise, then the software would remove this from the entire
> recording. It worked quite well AFAIR.
>
> Anything similar available in the linux eco system?
>
> Sorry if I overlooked something obvious...
Audacity has a built in function to do this but it is not as good as
Sound Forge and only suitable for gentle use ie. partial noise
reduction. It is easy to noticeably damage the sound if used too heavily.
The best noise reduction I've used, mainly for vinyl record cleanup, was
Waves X-Noise and the other Waves noise reduction plugins. Expensive and
not Linux though.
I'm also keen to find a better Linux solution.

Cheers
Roger