Re: [LAU] Looking for Repeater/Stutter Plugin

From: Johannes Kroll <j-kroll@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2016 - 14:19:59 EET

Hi Harry, thanks for your reply!

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 19:15:21 +0000
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Johannes Kroll <j-kroll@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > * artyFX Masha: Does what I want. Loop length controllable while
> > looping.
>
> Glad its kinda useful..
>
> > Fine-grained length control possible by changing Jack
> > Transport BPM from an external program.
>
> Yes - would you prefer a dial on the UI? Or what would be ideal for you?

I could think of two ways.. ok, three:

1) there could be another parameter, a boolean/checkbox which could be
named "sync" or "lock". It would be on by default which would mean the
current behaviour. If turned off, the quantization to full/half/quarter
etc would simply be disabled, and the Time parameter would control the
loop length directly.
2) there could be a boolean parameter "Auto"/"From Transport". On by
default (current behaviour). If turned off, BPM would be taken from
another parameter, controlled by a dial on the UI.
3) in addition or instead of 2), there could be a "BPM Multiplier"
parameter... Floating point from, say, 0.25 up to 4. This would
take the Transport BPM and scale it.

1) is what I would prefer, and probably easiest to implement. 2)
might be nice to have in addition. 3) would be interesting for
polyrhythmic looping and stuff - something I would like, but I don't
know if many other people would use it.

What do you think :)

> > I did it with Hydrogen...
> > Feels kind of hackish though, changing the Transport BPM just to
> > control one plugin.
>
> Agreed - Ideally this would be easier - but given the eco-system,
> if the plugin is to automatically match the host/session BPM,
> this is the only way to achieve that.
>
> > Also, is there a small program or plugin which
> > simply controls Jack Transport BPM?
>
> Some suggestions here: I dont have experience with them:
> https://freesoftwaremusic.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/jack-transport-master/

I've tried the programs in the list - Hydrogen works best, although
it's strange to have a complete sequencer/sampler/drummachine running
just to control BPM.

I thought there could be a simple LV2 plugin with a single parameter
for Transport BPM. Possibly MIDI-automatable. Doesn't need a custom GUI.
I would then load this plugin into each Carla patch.
Do you think this would work? Is there even a way to set the Transport
BPM from an LV2 plugin? I guess not, so the plugin would have to create
a separate JACK client, which would show up in Carla or other patchbays,
which is unusual for a plugin. Don't know if that would be the best
way. I could use/write a small standalone program but I'd rather avoid
all the session management stuff.