Re: [LAU] Looking for Repeater/Stutter Plugin

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2016 - 18:05:55 EET

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Johannes Kroll <j-kroll@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 1) there could be another parameter, a boolean/checkbox which could be
> named "sync" or "lock". It would be on by default which would mean the
> current behaviour. If turned off, the quantization to full/half/quarter
> etc would simply be disabled, and the Time parameter would control the
> loop length directly.
> 2) there could be a boolean parameter "Auto"/"From Transport". On by
> default (current behaviour). If turned off, BPM would be taken from
> another parameter, controlled by a dial on the UI.
> 3) in addition or instead of 2), there could be a "BPM Multiplier"
> parameter... Floating point from, say, 0.25 up to 4. This would
> take the Transport BPM and scale it.

Checkbox to enable/disable is fine with me, and some dial to control
the BPM also a good idea.

> 1) is what I would prefer, and probably easiest to implement.

The issue with having direct control over the loop length is that
if the control is changing gradually (easy to happen if automated),
the loop will no longer line up with the beat properly.

Masha avoids this by only changing to a new loop length when the
previous loop has finished playing *in its entirity*, which means that
the beat is always consistent with loop segments.

Test this in Ardour/QTractor, feeding in some audio and automating
the Time parameter - particularly noticeable when the loop time is
set to max, listen to it finish the loop.

> 2) might be nice to have in addition.

This option (control BPM, not loop length) is will ensure that the
stutter-loop is in sync with the beat, assuming the BPM is set right ;)

I'll implement this, I think its possible to do in a backwards compatible
way - I'll have to see.

-Harry

--
http://www.openavproductions.com