Re: [LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

From: Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2016 - 11:24:52 EET

On 03/02/2016 09:53 PM, Ben Bell wrote:

> Let your imagination run wild... how would *you* build a Tux Stage 2 EX?

I've done this in the past. Main challenge is to stear clear of any
software that's not rock steady. I ended up with csound running on a
laptop connected to a bunch of USB keyboards.

However (this might not be what you want to hear) recently I settled for
a Korg M50 for most of my dull, keyboard based gigs, sometimes enhanced
with a cheap Yamaha digital piano (if it's more piano oriented). Any
deep, programmable keyboard will work. I often have alot of zones going,
I program alot of signature sounds from scratch, but have access to
about 1500 decent presets that often work just fine, especially if
layered. The advantage is that it sounds good, needs zero maintenance,
can store hundreds of songs and is one thing to carry. The disadvantage
is that I cannot do much unplanned stuff within one song and that it's a
little too practical/dull/uninspiring sometimes.

Just my 0.02 euro...

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk