Re: [LAU] DFasma 1.4.4 - A tool to analyse and compare audio files in time and frequency

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 18:52:35 EET

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> take a look at painted colors in the way Josef Albers did by his
> "Interaction of Color".
>
> Take a look at the same blue square on a green and orange background.
>
> Assumed software should give each colour an unique sinus frequency, you
> could hear three different sinus tones. One for the green, one for
> the orange and one for the blue, but for the brain the blue that is
> equal on the green and on the red background, seems to be two different
> shades of blue. This might also be the case of the impression of two
> mixed sinus tones, but your understanding of the painted colors wont
> become more objective by listening to the sound.
>
> There is nothing crucial for the overall effect you could analyse
> by objective, measurable values. That's why there is not one valid
> color theory, there are several color theories and even if only one
> valid color theory would exist, it can't give an ultimate answer to
> overall effects of complex paintings, in combination with different
> compositions of similar paintings, let alone for comparison of
> completely different paintings from different cultures.
>
> If a sound analysis done by software of Arnold Böcklin's different
> versions of his "Isle of the Dead" would provide you different tone
> combinations, it would be harder to determine the impression of the
> painting by the sound, then by taking a look at the paintings.
[...]

That makes sense. I'm still not quite ready to raise the white flag of
defeat though. Over many years, developers of image processing programs
have made those programs aware of gamut. It's gotten fairly complicated
in some ways, but programs like Photoshop now pride themselves in it.

Even if it ends up being way more than just a simple fourier transform
analysis, I'm still convinced that you could make some kind of tool that
would be able to tell you something visually about what's happening in a
mix. Sonic Visualiser is in the right direction, but I'm still
convinced that you could do more.

--
		+	"With the rise of social networking