Re: [LAU] [LAD] rtp-MIDI status

From: Alessio Degani <alessio.degani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2016 - 22:38:46 EET

On 23/03/2016 11:40, Christopher Arndt wrote:
> Am 23.03.2016 um 09:11 schrieb Alessio Degani:
>> I need only rtpMIDI support.
>> There are some other solitions?
> None that I know of. I researched this about two years ago and only came
> up with the projects you found too. I had a look at the scenic software,
> but it didn't seem easy to extract the RTP-MIDI part.
>
> One important thing to realize is, when people say RTP-MIDI, they
> usually mean "Apple's implementation of the RTP-MIDI plus its
> proprietary session handling protocol".
Yes, and it's a bad thing for a "standard" protocol :)
> I know of only these compatible
> implementations:
>
> - Apple's CoreMIDI framework for OS X and iOS
>
> - rtpMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html):
> Windows, closed source
>
> - nmj (http://www.humatic.de/htools/nmj/): Android, closed source

The developer of TouchDAW... the main tool I need to use with rtp-MIDI
and Linux :)

> - WinRTP-MIDI (http://winrtpmidi.codeplex.com/) - Windows RT
>
> The MIDI association supposedly wanted to standardize RTP-MIDI further,
> but I'm not sure whether that future standard will include Apple's
> extensions and how open it will be.
Cool! Ok... let me check on this in two years heheh

Usually for such a things I go with OSC, but for the compatibility with
"old" hardware, I have to implement a middle-ware for OSC-to-MIDI
translation, and in a production environment is not recommended to run a
not fully tested code :)

Thank you Chris,

> Chris

a.