Re: [LAU] [LAD] rtp-MIDI status

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2016 - 01:14:03 EET

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Alessio Degani wrote:

> On 23/03/2016 11:40, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>
> Am 23.03.2016 um 09:11 schrieb Alessio Degani:
>
> I need only rtpMIDI support.
> There are some other solitions?
>
> None that I know of. I researched this about two years ago and only came
> up with the projects you found too. I had a look at the scenic software,
> but it didn't seem easy to extract the RTP-MIDI part.

It is script, but I couldn't quite figure it out either.

> Cool! Ok... let me check on this in two years heheh

Hmm, the only thing available in linux has died of bitrot years ago. (I
tried to build scenic and was missing no longer maintained libs or libs
where the new version was not compatible) If it was going to happen in two
years... it would have already happened. This doesn't seem to be an itch
for someone to make.

Alternative is Ipmidi. Qmidinet on Linux (works very well BTW), ipmidi on
windows or Mac. ipMIDI seems to be free for Mac but not so free for
windows ($80). (why anyone would charge only for the non-audio OS I don't
know)

> Usually for such a things I go with OSC, but for the compatibility with "old"
> hardware, I have to implement a middle-ware for OSC-to-MIDI translation, and in a
> production environment is not recommended to run a not fully tested code :)

OSC bridge? MIDI->OSC -- net -- OSC->MIDI?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net