Re: [LAU] DIY Moog kit

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Apr 16 2016 - 13:43:30 EEST

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:21:01 +0200, Atte wrote:
>On 04/15/2016 08:52 PM, S D wrote:
>
>> Hey-- Mozart is the sound of the past! The piano is the sound of the
>> past! :-)
>> Long live the past!
>
>Totally agree!
>
>But this is about nostalgia, advances in technology and how far we've
>come. Don't be Amish about your synthesizer.
>
>Moog (and other classics) sound great, sure, but they're rather limited
>sound wise, hard to keep in tune, and expensive to repair. The new
>stuff can sound pretty much exactly the same + 1.000 different ways.
>It's cheaper (because of more efficient manufacturing) and stays in
>tune.

The Prophet 5 has got a tune button, a Juno-106, JX3-P, Siel,
Matrix-1000 etc. pp. don't suffer from the auto-detune issue at all,
even many Moogs provide a stable tuning. I always claim that there
seldom is the need to "program" modern granular synths in a
complicated way, many of those allegedly new sounds already could be
archived using e.g. an Oberheim SEM or even emulations of this and
similar synth.