Re: [LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Thorsten Wilms <self@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2016 - 22:06:10 EEST

On 28.04.2016 15:11, Mark McCurry wrote:
> As a next major step for the project is a full rewrite of the UI, replacing
> the current junk-drawer of knobs with a much easier to navigate and explore
> interface based off of a mockup by Budislav Stepanov [1][2].

Those mockups seem to speak of a fear of colors ... or a lame attempt at
looking futuristic. I once had a classmate with a tendency to create
blue layouts of blue elements on blue. Came out he had red-green
deficient vision.

Color can and should be used as additional means of indicating state
and/or structure (grouping).

The flatty flatness makes one wonder if a widget is a command button or
toggle or a tab, what is selected vs activated. Once everyone is through
with the fads of first taking skeuomorphism to the extreme, then
minimalism (actually call that deficitism), could we perhaps enjoy a
sane middle-ground?

I do not see anything that would guide a user regarding the overall
structure of Zyn, it's all trees, no forest. From what I recall from my
brief look at that beast years ago, that's admittedly a tough job.

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: