Re: [LAU] User interfaces for Audio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2016 - 23:35:51 EEST

On Sun, 1 May 2016, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> Otherwise just parameters for me lets me really concentrate on the (sometimes
> subtle) *audio* differences in tweaking parameters... But again I'm probably
> a bit of a corner case user.. :)

While I generally agree (physical boards have run with only knobs for a
long time), The on the spot auto generated control layout for some effects
makes things difficult to use. The one thing a GUI adds is to place the
controls in a logical order. Any complex eq in generic controls makes the
user stop their thoughts to figure out which control it is that they want
to tweak. Takes the mind totally away from what they are doing. All of the
switches grouped, all of the same filter grouped... so high and low pass,
high shelf and then low shelf, then the parametrics in the middle. Open
the GUI and things are ordered from input to output for overall gain and
then from low to high frequency. A graph reminds you how it was set in the
first place and also helps you to choose the right control to tweak
(should I bring band 3 down or band 2 up... Oh right I am already using
band 2 better bring band 3 down).

Oh, and speaking of physical boards, a lot of them have GUIs for the
channel strip built in EQ, noisegates, compressors, etc. Rack mounting
ears and logos don't add much, but a nice layout sure does. It may be true
that a plugin author could order the controls so that the generic gui
orders them a little nicer... but I think it would still split it into
columns in the most confusing place (in the middle of a group controls for
one band in an eq for example). A well done GUI makes one work faster,
make fewer mistakes, and allows the ears to be used more fully as the hand
does not require as much attention.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net