Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Tilt EQ

From: Alessio Degani <alessio.degani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 05 2016 - 02:18:17 EEST

On 05/05/2016 00:32, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 23:50:10 +0200, Alessio Degani wrote:
>> You have to give -1 dB before using the +2 dB shelving (again, two
>> knobs). I know the math... I was just asking if there exist a tilt eq!
>> If not, no problem :) I go with shelving.
>> The only difference using a cascade of 2 shelving in place of a gain
>> stage + 1 shelving is in the phase response of the system. So in the
>> 90% of the use case there will be no difference between this two
>> approaches but, again, that's not my original question.
> English isn't my native language.

No problem :) The same for me!

> It doesn't matter. If you use a tilt EQ you chose a centre frequency,
> if you use a shelving filter, you chose a start frequency, but if you
> move the graph, they are the same. If you manipulate the frequencies
> you automatically manipulate the amplitude/level of the signal, it
> makes no difference what approach you chose. Changing the level of the
> frequencies requires to adjust the level of the audio signal.

Yes... all of the things you mentioned are correct and are perfectly
clear to me, you don't need to explain further.
I just don't understand why you have to explain those things :)

As a final note, it's not always true that "Changing the level of the
frequencies requires to adjust the level of the audio signal". It
depends on the needs. If you want to keep constant loudness, or constant
energy then yes, you have to provide a make-up gain. But thats not true
in general.

Cheers

a.