Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Tilt EQ

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 05 2016 - 14:32:01 EEST

On 05/04/2016 10:00 PM, Alessio Degani wrote:
> Hi Ralf, list
>
> On 04/05/2016 19:22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> [CUT]
>>
>> http://www.tonelux.com/images/tilt%20eq%20sm.jpg
>>
>> Around a centre frequency you reduce/gain the left/right side of the
>> frequency spectrum.
>>
>> There's absolutely no need to know this for professional audio
>> engineering, this is for another target group.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>> ____
> Yes, a tilt EQ can be implemented in different ways, and perhaps the
> most simple way is the cascade of low + high shelving EQ with the gain
> control that moves in opposite way with respect to eachother. In fact,
> at the moment I use this exact configuration.
> Since I'm very lazy, I'm searchin for a plugin that does this with one
> "tilt" knob instead of using two gains :)
> I've to equalize some recordings that suffer of uneaven low/high
> spectrum balance, and the "unbalancing" is different from recording to
> another, so, one knob should speed up the eq processing.
>
> Another way can be to automatically analyze each track, estimate the
> "unbalancing" factor ad correct it using, for example, MATLAB/OCTAVE.
> But the audio content of each track is not sufficiently representative
> and very different from track to track, so a correction by ear is needed.
> The first that comes to my mind is tilt EQ.

If I have understood the previous posts correctly, a tilt EQ is even
simpler than two shelves: just use a single one at the desired tilt
frequency and adjust the overall gain, like Fons mentioned: if you dial
3dB treble boost, applying -1.5dB of total gain should give you the
exact equivalent of a tilt EQ. But I doubt this is what you want.
Instead, I'm sure you'd want to match the perceived loudness to be the
same as before the correction. A tilt EQ is very unlikely to achieve
that, so manual gain correction will be needed in any case.
Hence, why bother with a tilt EQ?
I can see the appeal for DJs, but not for post production.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487