Re: [LAU] Isao Tomita, synthesizer music

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 14 2016 - 02:59:19 EEST

On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:31:32 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> I guess Kraftwerk is the only band that already put away the flute and
> made clean synth music and most likely Kraftwerk anyway is the most
> important band for this genre. OTOH while "Autobahn" is from 1974,
> Kraftwerk became popular 1978 with "Die Mensch-Maschine". Before 1974
> (Wiki claims 1973, but IMO this is incorrect), they were not a clean
> synth band.

I guess Tangerine Dream did have some flute on "Alpha Centauri", "Zeit"
or "Atem"... But by 1974 and "Pheadra" they did not, IIRC.

> A German, respl. an European masterpiece from 1981, not made by noobs,
> the drummer e.g. is an educated classical musician. That has got the
> energy of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSgGNd6thrc

Yes. D.A.F. But that's way later, early 80s.

Makes me think, u-he is currently working on filters for a
Sequential Circuit Pro One software emulation. The current state of
what they have called the RePro is available for free (Linux included)
and they are - were - asking for feedback on filters.

> An European (English) masterpiece from that time:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0z0vmkJ4MQ

Yes, Killing Joke. We were listening to that when playing in a band in
those times. And The Cure.

> Not made by noobs, the drummer e.g. is an educated classical musician.
> That has got the energy of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

To bring it 'home' a bit, if only by the nationality, and by keyboard
playing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDzNChROeY

Japanese female trio Ars Nova, two keyboard players, drummer. Live in
Mexico. Sound is not good, but the intention is there. Move away, Keith
Emerson.